Well, I think it's just about safe to say summer 2011 is officially over. It's been raining here in Manchester for the past 3 days. Feeling a bit blue and sorry for ourselves, we decided to bring summer inside!
We decided to make lemon biscuits. Check the picture below, courtesy of our photographer Steven Proctor, (who by the way, ate more than he baked! ha ha)
325g organic plain flour
200g salted butter , chilled and chopped
125g golden caster sugar
1 lemon , zested and juiced
2 free range egg yolks
200g organic icing sugar
2 drops of food colouring
a few glazed cherries
If your local corner shop doesn't stock much of a range of organic products, we recommend the following website.
Organic plain flour - Dovesfarm.co.uk £1.38 for 1kg
Organic caster Sugar - Goodnessdirect.co.uk £1.83 for 500g's
Organic Icing Sugar - Goodnessdirect.co.uk - £1.94 for 500g's
We prefer to use eggs from the Happy Egg Company. These are available from all major super markets.
How to bake:
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Mix the flour and butter to breadcrumbs, add the sugar, lemon zest and egg yolk and process to a dough.
3. Roll the dough to 5mm thick and cut out biscuits.
4. Put on a buttered baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked take out and leave to cool before applying the icing.
For the topping:
1. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and mix with enough of the lemon juice to make a runny icing.
3. Split into 3 bowls and add 1 drop of colouring to each bowl. Mix.
4. Drizzle the lemon icing over the biscuits. Et Voila!
134 kcalories, protein 1.3g, carbohydrate 19.8g, fat 6.1 g, saturated fat 3.6g, fibre 0.3g, salt 0.11 g
Hope you enjoy making these beautiful biscuits! I'm off to enjoy mine with some soup I've just made.
x x x